Tuesday, April 28, 2009

(Not Just) Another Concert - BC Scene


If you find yourself heading to see a show with Vancouver-based Black Mountain, my advice is this: Be prepared. They're going to knock your socks off.

I didn't know what to expect when I got invited by CBC Radio 3 to photograph a BC Scene show here in Ottawa on Friday night which featured three bands: The Pack A.D., Ladyhawk and Black Mountain. I had heard Ladyhawk before, but only had time to check the Myspace pages for the other two bands briefly before heading to the gig. I wasn't prepared. They were fantastic.


They were, however, tough to shoot. As anyone who photographs concerts knows, you've got a few things working against you. You're in the midst of a crowd(hopefully, for the band's sake), you're shooting band members who are moving all over the place (at rock shows anyway) and most importantly... IT'S DARK. It's a bad combo for good pics, and that means you need a little luck and you need to shoot a lot. I like to go into a concert with my metering set to "spot" and exposure compensation set around -2/3 to -1. That does a good job most times, and with auto-ISO keeping a minimum shutter speed of 1/60th or so, I get a decent number of sharp pictures. Of course faster shutter speeds are better, but if the venue is dark that might not be possible. This show was dark, and I also had to make adjustments because of the following: These bands are hairy. There are a lot of beards and a lot of long hair. With only small areas of skin showing, my spot meter method wouldn't cut it. Centre-weighted metering, and -2/3 to -1 2/3 stops compensation works a lot better in this situation. You still have to take a lot of pictures, but it ups the odds substantially.




You can see more pics and listen to the concert online at the Radio3 website.

The full gallery is on Flickr.



No comments: